SERVING SIZE 92 g ( size description n/a )
SERVINGS PER RECIPE 3
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs CBF Baking Mix or CBF Wheat Starch
- 1/2 tsp salt, optional
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 cup non-dairy creamer
- NOTE: This is a traditional, proven white sauce recipe to serve with your favorite CBF pasta, Ravioli, Pierogi, creamed vegetables, casseroles, and soups. Although rather bland as sauces go, it is the supporting cast of many great dishes, and the basis for countless gourmet delights. Simple additions give it a variety of identities. With addition of a few simple ingredients, you will can make mushroom sauce, garlic & herb sauce, lemon-dill sauce, cheese sauce, etc. from this basic white sauce recipe.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. When it starts to bubble, add the CBF Baking Mix or CBF Wheat Starch and salt. Mix to a smooth paste.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add non dairy creamer keeping your smoothness and continue to stir until thickened; about 3 minutes. If stirring is done carefully, there will be no lumping.
- Add the flavor you desire, for example low protein cheese, Chicken Consomme, chopped sun dried tomatoes, seasonings, mushrooms, etc.
- Immediately remove from heat and set aside for use in your recipe.
- SUGGESTIONS: (protein and phe not calculated). CHICKEN FLAVORED SAUCE OR GRAVY: Add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp CBF Chicken Consomme at the simmering stage. MUSHROOM SAUCE: Saute 1 cup of sliced mushrooms in 1/4 cup prepared CBF Chicken Consomme broth and add to sauce. Add a tsp of chopped parsley at the same time if desired. TOMATO SAUCE: Add 3 Tbs of tomato puree and 1 Tbs of chopped basil leaves at the simmering stage. GARLIC AND HERB SAUCE: Add 4 cloves of crushed, sauteed garlic and a selection of chopped fresh herbs ten minutes before serving. ORANGE SAUCE: Add the zest of one orange and the juice of one lemon. CURRY SAUCE: Add 1 tsp curry powder to thickened White Sauce. LEMON DILL SAUCE: Stir 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 Tbs chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill weed into warm white sauce. VELOUTE SAUCE: Replace non-dairy creamer with prepared CBF Chicken Consomme broth. BASIC SHERRY WHITE SAUCE: Add 1/4 tsp white pepper, 2 Tbs finely chopped parsley, and 1 tsp sherry. CHERRY TOMATO CREAM SAUCE: Add 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half and lightly sauteed, 2 Tbs fresh dill, 1 tsp sugar, and 1 tablespoon vodka. Season with salt and crushed red pepper.